Monday, October 22, 2012

Dada Manifesto

Given how random everything else was, I found the Dada Manifesto surprisingly poetic. 

"t will serve to show how articulated language comes into being. I let the vowels fool around. I let the vowels quite simply occur, as a cat meows . . . Words emerge, shoulders of words, legs, arms, hands of words. Au, oi, uh. One shouldn't let too many words out. A line of poetry is a chance to get rid of all the filth that clings to this accursed language, as if put there by stockbrokers' hands, hands worn smooth by coins. I want the word where it ends and begins. Dada is the heart of words."

I guess my problem is I have a hard time seeing things in a the framework of a timeoutside my own. As in Dada for example, I found it utterly ridiculous. How could anything as absurd as this spark a movement the art world?
However, when I wake myself out of here and now, and place myself in the time in which Dada was being birthed, Dada movement is amazing.

Also, I feel I'm at a slight disadvantage as I studied speech pathology for two years. Being in hospital wings where people litereally cannot speak and seem to be reciting a dada poem with the words they can't quite get out as hard as they may try, it's hard to find a lack of language beautiful or groundbreaking. I think those without language are truly at a disadvantage. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm clearly not very Dada.


No comments:

Post a Comment